Turkey, Kale, and White Bean Soup
This healthy turkey, kale, and white bean soup takes about 20 minutes to make and is delicious! I love soup in Winter. Who am I kidding, I love homemade soup in the Spring, Summer, and Fall too! If you’re like me, you’ll be eating healthy soup a lot this winter. Turkey, kale, and white beans are inexpensive options for making this healthy soup! The recipe is pretty simple. Remember to use organic foods if you can. Feel free to substitute your preferred protein, and add-in shredded carrots or red cabbage for even more nutrition! Moreover, if you have fresh herbs on hand, use those! Use spinach if you don’t have kale. I like to toss in both spinach and kale! Add more or less red pepper flakes and black pepper depending on your taste. For instance, Big Guy puts tabasco in his! Let me know what you think if you make this easy soup. I’d love to hear your add-ins & substitutions for your personal, healthy way of eating!
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Spoon or Spatula
- Medium-Large Pot
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 medium white or yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- A smidge of red pepper flakes more if you like!
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 14.5 ounces organic diced tomatoes
- 1 15.8 ounces can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- A handful of organic kale chopped (or extra if you’re like me!)
- 3 cups organic low-sodium chicken bone broth
- 1 can Optional: red beans like we did-Little Guy loves them!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Brown the turkey with the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, pepper until the turkey is cooked through and then onions are translucent (about 7 minutes).
- Add the oregano, basil, tomatoes (with liquid), and beans. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add spinach and cover for about 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir to combine.
- Add broth, stir, and increase heat to medium. Continue to cook until heated through – about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour into bowls and top with 5-6 Moon Cheese, and serve this delicious Turkey, Kale, and White Bean Soup!
*If you’re not a moon cheese fan, you can leave out the cheese or just add your favorite grated hard cheese if you want it a little creamy or want the added nutritional benefits of the cheese.
*Shebewell.com and Sheila Berg Wellness sometimes provide nutritional information as a reference, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they’re not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, health, or allergy advice
Delicious! Thank you for this free easy, healthy recipe!